1905 DELAUGÈRE ET CLAYETTE 20HP LANDAULET

DELAUGÈRE ET CLAYETTE 20HP LANDAULET

Year: 2024
Chassis no: 303
Registration: AA279
Registered In: UK
Price: £95,000

1905 DELAUGÈRE ET CLAYETTE 24HP LANDAULET 


REGISTRATION NO. AA 279
CHASSIS NO. 303
ENGINE NO. 202

A make virtually unknown outside its native France, Delaugère et Clayette, of Orléans manufactured automobiles from 1901 to 1926. The firm built tricycles, quadricycles and single-cylinder runabouts to begin with, but by 1903 had progressed to larger motor cars constructed along Panhard lines. These more advanced designs were powered by twin- and four-cylinder engines incorporating automatic inlet valves, and featured side chain drive, the largest being a 24hp car. Four models were offered for 1905 with horsepower ratings of 10/12, 12/15, 16/22 and 24/32CV, the three larger types being powered by four-cylinder engines equipped with mechanically operated inlet/exhaust valves.

This Delaugère et Clayette Landaulet is powered by a four-cylinder engine of 120x150mm bore/stroke (capacity 6,789cc) rated at 24hp. The vehicle was been provisionally dated (in 1974) by the Veteran Car Club as of 1904 manufacture and has taken part in various VCC Brighton Runs on temporary passports. Its accompanying VCC Vehicle Registration/Dating form refers to this car’s unusual valve layout, stating that the presence of pushrod-operated inlets ‘would appear to suggest that it has been modified from its original automatic inlet valve system’.  Please note that this car has not been officially dated & we beleive it will date as 1905 rather then 1904.

There is a blanking-off plate on the car which states ‘1905 Delaugère’, which is believed to have been attached when it was converted by the factory from low-tension ignition to magneto. Other noteworthy features of this well built and most handsome motor car include a luxuriously appointed passenger compartment; ivory door handles; Brennus horns; Pelgrims opera lamps; Howes & Burley self-generating lamps; a Dubrulle six-drip oiler; and AA Full Member’s badge to the radiator.


Imported into the UK in 1973, ‘AA 279’ was restored some  years ago and and is presented in good, running condition from long term onwership of nearly 15 years. The car is sold with a Science Museum Certificate, assorted Delaugère-related literature, sundry restoration invoices and Swansea V5 registration document.

Under the current ownership the car has journeyed as far afield as France & has proved utterly reliable.  It starts easily even after long lay ups & given the huge engine, moves along very well depsite the quite heavy coach work.  The body is original to the car & was constructed by Verheyden of Coubevoie in Paris.  The car is equipped with an electric start making it very easy to use.

The front seats are upholstered in beige buttoned leather.  To the rear is traditional bedford cord.  Being a landaulette, the rear roof opens after releasing two catches.  This is a large imposing car with real presence on the road.  It has a pleasant patina to it giving it a very period feel.  It is in stock with us now & ready for viewings.

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

1905 DELAUGÈRE ET CLAYETTE 24HP LANDAULET 


REGISTRATION NO. AA 279
CHASSIS NO. 303
ENGINE NO. 202

A make virtually unknown outside its native France, Delaugère et Clayette, of Orléans manufactured automobiles from 1901 to 1926. The firm built tricycles, quadricycles and single-cylinder runabouts to begin with, but by 1903 had progressed to larger motor cars constructed along Panhard lines. These more advanced designs were powered by twin- and four-cylinder engines incorporating automatic inlet valves, and featured side chain drive, the largest being a 24hp car. Four models were offered for 1905 with horsepower ratings of 10/12, 12/15, 16/22 and 24/32CV, the three larger types being powered by four-cylinder engines equipped with mechanically operated inlet/exhaust valves.

This Delaugère et Clayette Landaulet is powered by a four-cylinder engine of 120x150mm bore/stroke (capacity 6,789cc) rated at 24hp. The vehicle was been provisionally dated (in 1974) by the Veteran Car Club as of 1904 manufacture and has taken part in various VCC Brighton Runs on temporary passports. Its accompanying VCC Vehicle Registration/Dating form refers to this car’s unusual valve layout, stating that the presence of pushrod-operated inlets ‘would appear to suggest that it has been modified from its original automatic inlet valve system’.  Please note that this car has not been officially dated & we beleive it will date as 1905 rather then 1904.

There is a blanking-off plate on the car which states ‘1905 Delaugère’, which is believed to have been attached when it was converted by the factory from low-tension ignition to magneto. Other noteworthy features of this well built and most handsome motor car include a luxuriously appointed passenger compartment; ivory door handles; Brennus horns; Pelgrims opera lamps; Howes & Burley self-generating lamps; a Dubrulle six-drip oiler; and AA Full Member’s badge to the radiator.


Imported into the UK in 1973, ‘AA 279’ was restored some  years ago and and is presented in good, running condition from long term onwership of nearly 15 years. The car is sold with a Science Museum Certificate, assorted Delaugère-related literature, sundry restoration invoices and Swansea V5 registration document.

Under the current ownership the car has journeyed as far afield as France & has proved utterly reliable.  It starts easily even after long lay ups & given the huge engine, moves along very well depsite the quite heavy coach work.  The body is original to the car & was constructed by Verheyden of Coubevoie in Paris.  The car is equipped with an electric start making it very easy to use.

The front seats are upholstered in beige buttoned leather.  To the rear is traditional bedford cord.  Being a landaulette, the rear roof opens after releasing two catches.  This is a large imposing car with real presence on the road.  It has a pleasant patina to it giving it a very period feel.  It is in stock with us now & ready for viewings.

RICHARD BIDDULPH
SALES & VALUATIONS

m: +44 (0) 7967 260 673
e: richard@vandp.net

SIMONE DELLA CORTE
SHOWROOM MANAGER

t: +44 (0)7377 070 943
e: simone@vandp.net

MICHAEL KLIEBENSTEIN
EUROPEAN SALES and MARKETING

m: +49 170 204 3831
e: michael.kliebenstein@t-online.de

JAN KURTY
EASTERN EUROPE SALES and MARKETING

m: +44 7872 932 675
e: kurtyinterbiz@btinternet.com

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE AND PRESTIGE OF NORTHAMPTON LTD
Company reg. no: 1257 3400
Vintage and Prestige of Northampton Ltd and the V&P trade marks are owned & operated by: Visayas Vintage Car Restoration Inc. For full licensing information and details please refer to our 'About V&P' section