1925 Bentley 3 Litre Gurney Nutting Tourer
Chassis number: 1171
Registration Number: GD4233
A very attractive & correct 3 litre Bentley wearing its original Gurney Nutting tourer body as when new. Refreshingly, the car is finished in Black (rather then Green) to the exterior with red wheels & a red leather interior all in fine order with light patination. The car presents very smartly.
The car has been under the current ownership for a decade or so forming part of a small collection where it has been sparingly but regularly used.
The car comes with full all weather equipment including a black mohair hood, tonneau cover and side screens plus a glass auster screen so your rear passengers can maintain their dignity when travelling at speed. This WO is a delight to behold. The original Gurney Nutting tourer coachwork is exquisitely executed and beautifully detailed and rare to find on the three litre chassis.
The three litre engine numbered LM1336 is slightly later from a speed model chassis LM1338 which has the SS prefix to its number and is correct for the period. On the road the car performs well in all respects and makes for an enjoyable driving experience. The history file is detailed and dates back to the 1970's with some copy form record books in the 1920's. The car was restored well in tha 1970's & is in excellent condition today.
1171 spent the 1st ten years of his life in Scotland – firstly with J. D Cousin of Kinachoile, Dunblane; secondly with Peter Sinclair of Alloa which is well known for its coalmines & shipbuilding industries. The 3rd Scottish owner was Fred Shanks whose relative Alexander had founded the A. Shanks & Son Iron Works in Arbroath. In 1806 the firm patented a lawn mower and by 1840 were manufacturing portable steam engines, iron bridges & steam cranes. After WWII the car is known to have been with A Peduzzi – there was an Anna Maria Peduzzi "La Marocchina" who enjoyed a motorsport career throughout Europe from the 1930s to the 1960s – perhaps there is a connection? Her husband Gianfranco Alessandro Maria Comotti was the official racing driver for Ferrari in the early 1930s & during the war was almost executed for his resistance work in Italy.
All in all this is a very nice car that has not been messed around with too much. The accelerator is still centrally mounted & the usual quota of period instrumentation is found on the dash board.