1927 Bentley 3 Litre Vanden Plas-style Tourer
Chassis number: TN1556
Registration Umber: NF1870
According to factory records, 'Blue Label' 3-Litre chassis number 'TN1556' was completed in January 1927 with saloon coachwork by H J Mulliner. The car was registered 'NF 1870' and first owned by a Miss Alker in York, who kept it for 30 years.
The current owner Purchased the car in 2007 from the previous onwer who had looked after the car for some three decades having purchased it in 1977. At that time the car had covered 63,000 miles which has now increased to only 74,000 miles. These low mile cars are simply a pleasure to drive with no feel or wear to the gear box & taut play free steering. Indeed it drives in a manner which is seldom replicated in cars that have been disassembled & fully rebuilt.
In 1978 the car was stripped to its chassis and a new open body built using full-scale templates taken from a Vanden Plas four-seat tourer. Cabinet-maker Philip Turner of Cannock constructed the seasoned ash frame, which was clad in aluminium panels finished in layers of hessian, cotton wadding and a waterproof outer fabric. All the bodywork forward of the bulkhead remains original. The seats were re-trimmed in red hide and a new dashboard custom made in mahogany. All the original instruments were refitted together with a period 24-hour aircraft clock, which was on the car when purchased in 1977. A new double-duck hood and tonneau cover were installed also.
This is a car that has not wanted for maintenance over the years & as a result is in first rate mechanical condition. The engine starts readily & pulls well. A new custom made exhaust system of mild steel is in situ. An uprated oil pump has been installed along with an inline modern oil filter.
This is a full matching numbers car with everything installed & in place as it left the factory with the exception of the body & dash board. The Radiator is the original Serck Radiators unit numbered D2886/18 as fitted when new. The engine bay is well presented with twin sloper carburettors in place & pleasingly is still running from a pair of magnetos as opposed to the distributor modification so often carried out on these cars.
On the road the car is fast & capable. A long rear axle crown wheel has been installed making the car long legged & well able to run in modern traffic. The old internals come with the car however for posterity. Driving lamps are the original Lucas items and the car still has the original torpedo sidelights on the front wings. Modern indicators have been discreetly fitted front and rear for safety reasons. The car comes with a full length split tonneau cover & hood bag covering the hood which is now older, but frankly never ever has been put up in the current ownership.
To sum up, this is a very pure low mile example in super driving order & ready for immediate extended use.