1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom 2 Barker Airline Swept back Saloon. CGK891

Rolls Royce Phantom 2 Barker Airline Swept back Saloon. CGK891

Year: 1935
Chassis no: 56UK
Registration: CGK891
Registered In: UK
Price: Sold

1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom 2 Barker Airline Swept back Saloon. CGK891

Chassis number: 56UK

Registration Number: CGK891

Engine number: RX25

One of the last Phantom 2's produced & consequently benefitting from the late series gear box with synchromesh on 2nd 3rd & 4th gears.

Chassis number '56UK' was delivered in September 1935 and owned by Frederick Miles, who at that time was a director of Philips & Powis Aircraft based at Woodley near Reading, Berkshire. In 1936 Rolls-Royce bought into Philips & Powis, which produced aircraft under the 'Miles' name and became Miles Aircraft Limited when their share was sold in 1943. The car was originally delivered to Major Len Cox ('Cx' in factory parlance) who was the company's sales manager in London. Recorded as 'stock' on the chassis cards, it passed to Frederick Miles in November 1937. With the Phantom comes a picture of it outside the Art Deco-style Woodley aerodrome terminal behind a Miles Monarch aircraft and with a uniformed chauffeur at hand.

The coachwork by Barker – body number '6965' - is a very sporting swept-back airline style design that appears very 'aero'-like from the side. Erected on the long chassis, the car has a wind-up division with ample room to the front and rear. Although not a Continental model, it was specified on the build sheets to have Continental features including Continental-type rear springs.

In November 1945 Miles sold the Phantom to a Mr R B Davies of Chester. The two old-style buff logbooks record further ownership changes. In 2007 the car was acquired by the nephew of the late Sir James Cayzer, a well-respected R-REC luminary and collector of Rolls-Royce motor cars. 

Described as 'a magnificent and important car in absolutely first rate condition,' '56UK' comes with bills for the period 2008-2011 totalling over £100,000 for works carried out by marque specialists Frank Dale & Stepsons, including the installation of a new cylinder head and an overdrive. It is thus in superb mechanical order with a fully rebuilt engine and everything done that needed doing. Accompanying invoices are comprehensive, meticulous and detailed.

The car is finished in a pleasing scheme of pale grey over medium grey. Twin trumpet horns adorn the front, mounted either side of a central fog lamp. A single side-mount spare wheel sits on the driver's side running board. The interior is delightful, with pale blue leather to all the seating surfaces, complementary pale grey carpets and satin-finish burr walnut in abundance. Small tools are located in a foldout panel to the passenger front foot-well.

A large sunroof slides back easily for semi alfresco motoring. The front windows are of an interesting, unusual yet practical design; when the winder is turned in one direction the window moves backwards a couple of inches allowing for quarter-light style ventilation; when turned the other the window rolls down in a conventional manner. The engine bay is well detailed with all large tools in their appointed places including a plug-in inspection lamp.

On the road the car is everything a late-series Phantom should be. The engine starts instantly and runs silently, and the synchromesh gearbox is smooth and precise. In overdrive top the car cruises at 70mph in a calm, quiet and relaxed manner, with temperatures and pressure steady and well within limits, the steering being 'pin sharp'.

'CGK 391'  had a full inspection 6 years ago by Rolls-Royce engineer William Allan who pronounced it mechanically first class and an outstanding example. Epitomising the very best of 1930s style, this magnificent Phantom II is offered with the aforementioned invoices, copy chassis cards, two old-style continuation logbooks, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5 document. 

The car was sold immeiidately after the Allan inspection to a noted South African collector who has kept the car in the UK to be maintinaed without regard to cost & has used it just once or twice a year for sojourns in the UK taking the car as far north as Northumberland.  During this last tenure huge amounts have been spent with Marque Speciailist Kenworthy Engineering on numberous detail improvements with the brief being simply to make the car as good as it can be.

Thus we find a close to perfect Phantom 2 ready for rallies & extended use which wants for absolutly nothing.  Indeed this is one of the best Phantoms we have had & comparers favorably with any other.

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom 2 Barker Airline Swept back Saloon. CGK891

Chassis number: 56UK

Registration Number: CGK891

Engine number: RX25

One of the last Phantom 2's produced & consequently benefitting from the late series gear box with synchromesh on 2nd 3rd & 4th gears.

Chassis number '56UK' was delivered in September 1935 and owned by Frederick Miles, who at that time was a director of Philips & Powis Aircraft based at Woodley near Reading, Berkshire. In 1936 Rolls-Royce bought into Philips & Powis, which produced aircraft under the 'Miles' name and became Miles Aircraft Limited when their share was sold in 1943. The car was originally delivered to Major Len Cox ('Cx' in factory parlance) who was the company's sales manager in London. Recorded as 'stock' on the chassis cards, it passed to Frederick Miles in November 1937. With the Phantom comes a picture of it outside the Art Deco-style Woodley aerodrome terminal behind a Miles Monarch aircraft and with a uniformed chauffeur at hand.

The coachwork by Barker – body number '6965' - is a very sporting swept-back airline style design that appears very 'aero'-like from the side. Erected on the long chassis, the car has a wind-up division with ample room to the front and rear. Although not a Continental model, it was specified on the build sheets to have Continental features including Continental-type rear springs.

In November 1945 Miles sold the Phantom to a Mr R B Davies of Chester. The two old-style buff logbooks record further ownership changes. In 2007 the car was acquired by the nephew of the late Sir James Cayzer, a well-respected R-REC luminary and collector of Rolls-Royce motor cars. 

Described as 'a magnificent and important car in absolutely first rate condition,' '56UK' comes with bills for the period 2008-2011 totalling over £100,000 for works carried out by marque specialists Frank Dale & Stepsons, including the installation of a new cylinder head and an overdrive. It is thus in superb mechanical order with a fully rebuilt engine and everything done that needed doing. Accompanying invoices are comprehensive, meticulous and detailed.

The car is finished in a pleasing scheme of pale grey over medium grey. Twin trumpet horns adorn the front, mounted either side of a central fog lamp. A single side-mount spare wheel sits on the driver's side running board. The interior is delightful, with pale blue leather to all the seating surfaces, complementary pale grey carpets and satin-finish burr walnut in abundance. Small tools are located in a foldout panel to the passenger front foot-well.

A large sunroof slides back easily for semi alfresco motoring. The front windows are of an interesting, unusual yet practical design; when the winder is turned in one direction the window moves backwards a couple of inches allowing for quarter-light style ventilation; when turned the other the window rolls down in a conventional manner. The engine bay is well detailed with all large tools in their appointed places including a plug-in inspection lamp.

On the road the car is everything a late-series Phantom should be. The engine starts instantly and runs silently, and the synchromesh gearbox is smooth and precise. In overdrive top the car cruises at 70mph in a calm, quiet and relaxed manner, with temperatures and pressure steady and well within limits, the steering being 'pin sharp'.

'CGK 391'  had a full inspection 6 years ago by Rolls-Royce engineer William Allan who pronounced it mechanically first class and an outstanding example. Epitomising the very best of 1930s style, this magnificent Phantom II is offered with the aforementioned invoices, copy chassis cards, two old-style continuation logbooks, current MoT/tax and Swansea V5 document. 

The car was sold immeiidately after the Allan inspection to a noted South African collector who has kept the car in the UK to be maintinaed without regard to cost & has used it just once or twice a year for sojourns in the UK taking the car as far north as Northumberland.  During this last tenure huge amounts have been spent with Marque Speciailist Kenworthy Engineering on numberous detail improvements with the brief being simply to make the car as good as it can be.

Thus we find a close to perfect Phantom 2 ready for rallies & extended use which wants for absolutly nothing.  Indeed this is one of the best Phantoms we have had & comparers favorably with any other.

RICHARD BIDDULPH
SALES & VALUATIONS

m: +44 (0) 7967 260 673
e: richard@vandp.net

SIMONE DELLA CORTE
SHOWROOM MANAGER

t: +44 (0)7377 070 943
e: simone@vandp.net

MICHAEL KLIEBENSTEIN
EUROPEAN SALES and MARKETING

m: +49 170 204 3831
e: michael.kliebenstein@t-online.de

JAN KURTY
EASTERN EUROPE SALES and MARKETING

m: +44 7872 932 675
e: kurtyinterbiz@btinternet.com

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE AND PRESTIGE OF NORTHAMPTON LTD
Company reg. no: 1257 3400
Vintage and Prestige of Northampton Ltd and the V&P trade marks are owned & operated by: Visayas Vintage Car Restoration Inc. For full licensing information and details please refer to our 'About V&P' section