1924 Bentley 3 litre Freestone & Webb Tourer
Original 1924 Numbers
Chassis No. 537
Engine No. 541
Registration No. XT 3560
A fabulous car, having just been fully restored over a period of several years from the bare chassis frame up. The work is fully documented and photographed, and has been carried out to a very high standard.
The finishes are just as they should be, rather than 'over the top' as is sometimes the case. Not only is the car a matching numbers example in terms of engine, gearbox, axles, steering box, etc, but it has been with just two families from new, the last from about 1951. An original Freestone & Webb open tourer body was moved across from another Bentley 3 Litre & is still fitted to the car. Only shakedown miles have been covered since completion of the restoration, without problems, and acting as a nice 'settling in' process.
Sensible upgrades incorporated into the restoration include the fitting of twin electric fans, conversion from dynamo to alternator and the fitting of flashing indicators, as well as a concealed accessory socket, suitable for plugging in a satnav, etc.
Early Ownership History:
By the time he ordered 537 David Yule had already led a very full life – born in 1895 in Germany during his formative years he lived with his family in North Gate, Regent’s Park and returned to Cologne shortly before WWI as a student. After only a short time in Cologne due to the outbreak of hostilities David Yule was arrested & interned at Ruhleben for the duration; the Ruhleben Register gives David Yule’s address as 24 North Gate – a magnificent serviced mansion block built circa 1907 & requisitioned during WWII for use by the Government.
It would seem that David Yule was a scion of the Yules of Scotland & India who had business interests in the Jute, Finance, Shipping & petroleum industries. When David Yule took delivery of Chassis 537 the original chassis cards show 3 addresses – 17 Brunton Place in the name of Carlish (possibly his mother’s family), 24 North Gate Mansions (the Yule family home) and also 25 Eden Quay in Dublin (a business address). David Yule relocated to Dublin in the early 1920s & whilst in Ireland he made quite a name for himself in motor racing circles with his CMY (Cox, Morris, Yule) Morris Eight Special with speeds registered at 96mph - this was in the mid1930s.
There was a rumour that David used 537 in the inaugural Irish Grand Prix at Phoenix Park in 1929 but this has yet to be proved! Perhaps someone out there has some old photos or brochures that can help to solve the mystery. Around 1950, after many discussions with David Yule, 537 was acquired by the current family, and remained with them until the present day.