1910 Straker Squire 15HP Windham Detachable Tourer

Straker Squire 15HP Windham Detachable Tourer

Year: 1910
Chassis no: 504
Registration: CE 3728
Price: £88,000

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1910 Straker Squire 15HP Windham Detachable Tourer For Sale 

Registration:?CE 3728

Engine no:?504

Chassis no: 504

Straker originally manufactured steam wagons and buses, but turned to automobiles in 1906 

 Brazil, Straker & Co. was a highly respected British vehicle manufacturer formed in 1893 by Irish engineer J.P. Brazil and London motor agent Sidney Straker. 

 L.R.L. Squire joined the company in 1904 and by 1906, they had built 200 steam wagons and moved on to build gasoline-engine buses for the London Bus Company. 

 Their first car was built under a licensing agreement from the French-based Cornilleau St. Beuve in 1906, but by 1907, they were building cars of their own design in addition to 70 per cent of the London buses in a new factory, having moved from St. Philips Marsh in Bristol to the nearby suburb in Fishponds. 

 The company’s breakthrough year was 1910, with the introduction of a 15- horsepower model powered by a four-cylinder, side-valve engine, with 2,853-cc capacity. This engine was designed by A.H.R Fedden, a recruit from the Bristol Motor Company. 

 By 1917, Fedden had become Sir Roy Fedden and risen to the rank of chief designer. During the First World War, he convinced the company to take on aircraft engine repairs and manufacturing. 

First owned by Hubert Ellis who lived on the outskirts or Cambridge, Mr Ellis passed away in 1940 and passed the car to his nephew H.E. Ellis a jeweler from Norwich. Due to the outbreak of war the Strake Squire was only moved to Norwich in 1950. Mr Ellis used the car regularly, refusing to advance to a modern car he took his handyman with him for when he was unable to swing the handle and start the car. CE 3728 left for America in the 60’s before returning to the Great Britain in the early 00’s.

 This charming car is offered in excellent condition throughout. The body is finished in a brush painted maroon colour with and a faint grey coachline highlighting the body shape. The flowing wings are again brush painted and finished in black with a grey coachline.

 The brass finishing wonderfully compliment the exterior colours, although the acetylene headlights have been converted to electric, the tanks remain on the running boards and are joined by other such features as; oil side lamps, side mirrors and  a horn to the drivers side. The usual Wilmot Breeden Calormeter sits on top of the radiator shell and the body housing has been finished in the body colour.

 The bulk head is adorned with a variety of makers plates, along with a Smiths speedometer and a Doxa 8day clock. The interior is finished in maroon leather, buttoned to the seat squabs and all in excellent condition. There is maroon carpet to the rear floor, which is piped, in the maroon leather. The door cards are finished elegantly with concealed door pockets, and a leather gimp around the edge, which is attached with some beautifully patterned brass fixings.

 To drive she is simple and elegant, the 4 cylinder, 3Litre, 15hp engine fires straight away (with the correct starting procedure) and pulls you along the road comfortably, this truly is a magnificent Brass era car and a delight to drive.

 A list of works completed by the current owner is detailed below.

 Period March to August 2005 : 

 - Disassemble the gasoline tank into its items,the inside of the tank was encrusted by gasoline residues !                                          

- Professional repair of the tank including coating of the inside.

- Service work on ignition system and carburettor, ignition system originally a magneto ignition.

- Service work on brake system. The brake construction on the rear axle consists

of two separate shoe brakes, each for foot and handbrake.

- Cleaning the entire cooling system.

- Provisional gasoline supply so that trial operation was possible.

Period Sept. 2005 - 03/ 2007 :    

 Extensive restoration work company Grossalber

 - Electrification for certification road traffic,

- Electric head lamps made of stylish brass -interchangeable with the original carbide head lamps,

- original front and rear wings restored and hand painted with brush,

-running boards new in ash wood and aluminium sheet in the original design

- many further different works have been done.

Period April 2007 - 04/2008 :   

 - restoration of the entire interior with leader in burgundy colour - exactly according to the original including processing technology

- production of leather in Germany after the old type of leather tanning

- new black roof of "Sonnenland" without interior coating

 

In our showroom and ready for viewing.

 

Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :


Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1910 Straker Squire 15HP Windham Detachable Tourer For Sale 

Registration:?CE 3728

Engine no:?504

Chassis no: 504

Straker originally manufactured steam wagons and buses, but turned to automobiles in 1906 

 Brazil, Straker & Co. was a highly respected British vehicle manufacturer formed in 1893 by Irish engineer J.P. Brazil and London motor agent Sidney Straker. 

 L.R.L. Squire joined the company in 1904 and by 1906, they had built 200 steam wagons and moved on to build gasoline-engine buses for the London Bus Company. 

 Their first car was built under a licensing agreement from the French-based Cornilleau St. Beuve in 1906, but by 1907, they were building cars of their own design in addition to 70 per cent of the London buses in a new factory, having moved from St. Philips Marsh in Bristol to the nearby suburb in Fishponds. 

 The company’s breakthrough year was 1910, with the introduction of a 15- horsepower model powered by a four-cylinder, side-valve engine, with 2,853-cc capacity. This engine was designed by A.H.R Fedden, a recruit from the Bristol Motor Company. 

 By 1917, Fedden had become Sir Roy Fedden and risen to the rank of chief designer. During the First World War, he convinced the company to take on aircraft engine repairs and manufacturing. 

First owned by Hubert Ellis who lived on the outskirts or Cambridge, Mr Ellis passed away in 1940 and passed the car to his nephew H.E. Ellis a jeweler from Norwich. Due to the outbreak of war the Strake Squire was only moved to Norwich in 1950. Mr Ellis used the car regularly, refusing to advance to a modern car he took his handyman with him for when he was unable to swing the handle and start the car. CE 3728 left for America in the 60’s before returning to the Great Britain in the early 00’s.

 This charming car is offered in excellent condition throughout. The body is finished in a brush painted maroon colour with and a faint grey coachline highlighting the body shape. The flowing wings are again brush painted and finished in black with a grey coachline.

 The brass finishing wonderfully compliment the exterior colours, although the acetylene headlights have been converted to electric, the tanks remain on the running boards and are joined by other such features as; oil side lamps, side mirrors and  a horn to the drivers side. The usual Wilmot Breeden Calormeter sits on top of the radiator shell and the body housing has been finished in the body colour.

 The bulk head is adorned with a variety of makers plates, along with a Smiths speedometer and a Doxa 8day clock. The interior is finished in maroon leather, buttoned to the seat squabs and all in excellent condition. There is maroon carpet to the rear floor, which is piped, in the maroon leather. The door cards are finished elegantly with concealed door pockets, and a leather gimp around the edge, which is attached with some beautifully patterned brass fixings.

 To drive she is simple and elegant, the 4 cylinder, 3Litre, 15hp engine fires straight away (with the correct starting procedure) and pulls you along the road comfortably, this truly is a magnificent Brass era car and a delight to drive.

 A list of works completed by the current owner is detailed below.

 Period March to August 2005 : 

 - Disassemble the gasoline tank into its items,the inside of the tank was encrusted by gasoline residues !                                          

- Professional repair of the tank including coating of the inside.

- Service work on ignition system and carburettor, ignition system originally a magneto ignition.

- Service work on brake system. The brake construction on the rear axle consists

of two separate shoe brakes, each for foot and handbrake.

- Cleaning the entire cooling system.

- Provisional gasoline supply so that trial operation was possible.

Period Sept. 2005 - 03/ 2007 :    

 Extensive restoration work company Grossalber

 - Electrification for certification road traffic,

- Electric head lamps made of stylish brass -interchangeable with the original carbide head lamps,

- original front and rear wings restored and hand painted with brush,

-running boards new in ash wood and aluminium sheet in the original design

- many further different works have been done.

Period April 2007 - 04/2008 :   

 - restoration of the entire interior with leader in burgundy colour - exactly according to the original including processing technology

- production of leather in Germany after the old type of leather tanning

- new black roof of "Sonnenland" without interior coating

 

In our showroom and ready for viewing.

 

Office 01375 379719
Richard Biddulph 07967 260673
Christoff Cowens 07772188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :


Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE AND PRESTIGE OF ESSEX LTD
Company reg. no: 1141 6943