1951 Lagonda 2.6-Litre Drophead Coupé

Lagonda 2.6-Litre Drophead Coupé

Year: 1951
Chassis no: LAG/50/210
Registration: NKL 666
Price: £86,000

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1951 Lagonda 2.6-Litre Drophead Coupé For Sale.


Registration no: NKL 666 

Chassis no: LAG/50/210

Engine no: LB6A/50/266

Mileage: 37,000

 It's said that when David Brown acquired Lagonda in 1947 all he got was a famous name, a collection of engineering drawings and a handful of prototypes. And although Lagonda's chief engineer and designer, the great W O Bentley, quit the firm when Brown took over, he did leave behind the 2.6-litre, six-cylinder, twin-overhead-camshaft engine that would power the Aston Martin DB2 and the next generation of Lagondas. 

 Although it retained a separate chassis, Bentley's 2.6-Litre Lagonda was advanced in other ways, featuring independent suspension all round: by double wishbones and coil-springs at the front - a layout similar to that adopted on the DB4 - and semi-trailing arms at the rear where the brakes were mounted inboard to reduce un-sprung weight. 

 It had been intended that the new Lagonda would exploit a perceived gap in the luxury car market between Jaguar and Rover at one end and Rolls-Royce and Bentley at the other. W O's design succeeded brilliantly in this, being able to carry five persons and their luggage at high speed and in great comfort. 

 One of Lagonda's, and David Brown's, greatest assets was stylist Frank Feeley, the man responsible for the Italianate flair of the DB2, and while Feeley's 2.6-Litre looked back nostalgically at the Lagondas of pre-war years, his prototypes produced on that chassis in the late 1940s hinted at the 3-Litre model to come. 

 Chassis number 'LAG/50/210' was supplied new to one Frederick Packer of Sittingbourne Kent, the next ownership remained in Kent and changing hands to Thomas Gurney. It is believe that a re-spray was commissioned under Mr Gurney’s ownership.

 NKL 666 then moved North and resided is the Skopos Motor Museum (now the Yorkshire Motor Museum), this is where she stayed until be purchased by the current vendor in 2001. Since the purchase in 2001 the Lagonda has been cared for, maintained and preserved. Less than 700 miles have been covered in the 18 years of ownership and she is still cruising along the road magnificently.

 In our showroom and ready for viewing.

 

Office 01375 379719

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673

Christoff Cowens 07772188037


We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :

Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

 

 

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

Vintage and Prestige are proud to offer this 1951 Lagonda 2.6-Litre Drophead Coupé For Sale.


Registration no: NKL 666 

Chassis no: LAG/50/210

Engine no: LB6A/50/266

Mileage: 37,000

 It's said that when David Brown acquired Lagonda in 1947 all he got was a famous name, a collection of engineering drawings and a handful of prototypes. And although Lagonda's chief engineer and designer, the great W O Bentley, quit the firm when Brown took over, he did leave behind the 2.6-litre, six-cylinder, twin-overhead-camshaft engine that would power the Aston Martin DB2 and the next generation of Lagondas. 

 Although it retained a separate chassis, Bentley's 2.6-Litre Lagonda was advanced in other ways, featuring independent suspension all round: by double wishbones and coil-springs at the front - a layout similar to that adopted on the DB4 - and semi-trailing arms at the rear where the brakes were mounted inboard to reduce un-sprung weight. 

 It had been intended that the new Lagonda would exploit a perceived gap in the luxury car market between Jaguar and Rover at one end and Rolls-Royce and Bentley at the other. W O's design succeeded brilliantly in this, being able to carry five persons and their luggage at high speed and in great comfort. 

 One of Lagonda's, and David Brown's, greatest assets was stylist Frank Feeley, the man responsible for the Italianate flair of the DB2, and while Feeley's 2.6-Litre looked back nostalgically at the Lagondas of pre-war years, his prototypes produced on that chassis in the late 1940s hinted at the 3-Litre model to come. 

 Chassis number 'LAG/50/210' was supplied new to one Frederick Packer of Sittingbourne Kent, the next ownership remained in Kent and changing hands to Thomas Gurney. It is believe that a re-spray was commissioned under Mr Gurney’s ownership.

 NKL 666 then moved North and resided is the Skopos Motor Museum (now the Yorkshire Motor Museum), this is where she stayed until be purchased by the current vendor in 2001. Since the purchase in 2001 the Lagonda has been cared for, maintained and preserved. Less than 700 miles have been covered in the 18 years of ownership and she is still cruising along the road magnificently.

 In our showroom and ready for viewing.

 

Office 01375 379719

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673

Christoff Cowens 07772188037


We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :

Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST

 

 

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE AND PRESTIGE OF ESSEX LTD
Company reg. no: 1141 6943