1901 Renault Type D Series E 4 1/2HP

Renault Type D Series E 4 1/2HP

Year: 1901
Chassis no:
Registration: A-2743
Price: £90,000.00

Vintage and Prestige are Proud to offer this 1901 Renault Type D Series E Competition model For Sale.


This 4 1/2hp Type D Renault is powered by a vertical, single-cylinder, water-cooled engine with atmospheric inlet and mechanical exhaust valves and features the traditional side-mounted radiators, so familiar on early Renault models. It enjoys the benefit of a three forward speed gearbox and has a reverse gear, not presently fitted, but offered with the car.

It is believed that the car was originally equipped with two rear seats which were removed by a previous owner, a chimney sweep, who used the car in his business.

The current owner has now re-made the removable rear seats to the exact original design,


This early De Dion-engined Renault was supplied new in 1901 by Roadway Autocar Co Ltd of London, who were sole agents for Renault Frères and Mors cars and imported 12 Renaults that year. A contemporary advertisement on file shows that different detachable rear sections were available, including a rear-entrance tonneau. There is a spigot for a step, located in the centre rear of the chassis behind the number plate on 'A 2743' and identical to the two on either side of the car illustrated, indicating that a rear-entrance tonneau possibly was used at some time. The coachwork is by E Vicart Fils, Levallois (Seine). 

Around 1908 the Renault was driven, and possibly owned, by Captain Basil Emery, son of the Archdeacon of Ely Cathedral. A photograph on file, acquired in 2007 from descendants of Captain Emery, shows him and his fiancée in the car outside Ely Cathedral. A career Army officer, William Basil Emery had served and been decorated in the Boer War and by 1911 had been promoted to the rank of major. He went on, as a brigadier general, to serve with Allenby in Palestine and finished his career as Colonel Commandant in Constantinople. He died in 1945.

During the 1920s, the car was used by a Mr Barnes for his business as a chimney sweep in Reading, and its rear section was enlarged at this time. In 1927 the Renault was acquired by Vincents (Coachbuilders) also of Reading, who restored, maintained and rallied the car until 1975. William Vincent entered 'A 2743' in the London-Brighton Run in 1927 and also in 1928 when it was successful in reaching the finish line. A photograph from the 1928 Run shows the 'old crock', driven on trade plates, passing the White Horse in Reigate (part of the original route). The car was entered in the 1971 London-Brighton Run and driven by Vincents' employee, Frank Gear. Frank remembers the car being displayed in the company's Castle Street showrooms, although his Brighton Run was not successful, as he describes (see history file).

In 1970 the car was officially dated as of 1901 manufacture by the Veteran Car Club and given Certificate No. 1217. It was noted on the certificate that the boot had been enlarged. Vincents subsequently restored the boot to original specification and also changed the colour from blue to what is believed to be the original dark green, with contrasting red coachlining. Other noteworthy features include brass oil side lamps, a brass oil rear lamp, bulb horn and buttoned red upholstery. 'A 2743' was the last of Vincents' Veteran cars to be sold, in 1975. 

The Renault was then successful in the 1979 London-Brighton Run (start number '92') driven by a Mrs R M Snapper, wife of the then owner Mr M Snapper of Kingston Hill, Surrey, who kept it until 1983. The car was subsequently owned from 1983 to 1994 by Mr James Burrows, who displayed it in his Renault showrooms in Amersham and then rallied it during his retirement. Subsequent owners Mike Rowlett of Henley-on-Thames followed by Mr David Lawson of Chorley, Lancashire continued the restoration and maintenance and in 2005 Mr Lawson successfully completed the London-Brighton Run.

The previous owner purchased the car in November 2006 first major event with the Renault was the 2007 'Creepy Crawly' in Norfolk, followed by that year's London-Brighton Run, though the latter was spoiled by a puncture that destroyed the tyre, causing a retirement. The 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 Runs were completed successfully but the car missed the 2010 event as its gearbox was undergoing an overhaul and did not participate in 2013 because of a non-car related issue. 'A 2743' This Renault last completed the Brighton Run in 2014 and had an early starting number of 74, and is also entered in the 2017 Run.

This charming Renault voiturette is eligible for all events organised by the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain including the increasingly popular Singles and Twins events, Renault Frères rallies and, of course, the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. 

 

 

Louis Renault was a pioneer in automobile design in the infant French motor industry, building his first car as early as 1898, mounting a De Dion Bouton engine on the front of a primitive tubular chassis frame. Ever the innovator, he broke from traditional design by featuring a sprung live rear axle, a feature soon to be copied by his contemporaries. With the benefit of substantial financial backing, production began at Billancourt of 1 3/4hp and 3hp cars, with the hugely successful 4 1/2hp models appearing first for the 1900 season. From the outset Renault saw the benefits to be gained from active participation in motor sport and, along with his brother Marcel, he took an active part in this new sporting activity. Although the headlines were stolen by larger cars, Renault, with their voiturettes, were highly regarded, achieving class successes in continental events and in the great French City-to-City races. In the 1901 Paris-Bordeaux Race, Louis Renault led a victorious team of four Renaults, taking first place himself in the voiturette class and completing the epic journey in just 9 hours and 31 minutes, with brother Marcel in second place just eight minutes behind, with Oury and Grus on similar Type E cars following in third and fourth places. In 1902 Renault were to achieve their ultimate success, Marcel Renault stealing outright victory in the Paris-Vienna Race at the wheel of a 16hp model, covering the distance at an average speed of 39.2mph. These racing victories kept Renault at the fore-front of the public mind and resulted in sales orders and production figures which were the envy of their competitors.

Office 01375 379719

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673

Christoff Cowens 07772188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :

Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST 

 

Back to sales vehicles

Vehicle details

Additional Information / Service History

Vintage and Prestige are Proud to offer this 1901 Renault Type D Series E Competition model For Sale.


This 4 1/2hp Type D Renault is powered by a vertical, single-cylinder, water-cooled engine with atmospheric inlet and mechanical exhaust valves and features the traditional side-mounted radiators, so familiar on early Renault models. It enjoys the benefit of a three forward speed gearbox and has a reverse gear, not presently fitted, but offered with the car.

It is believed that the car was originally equipped with two rear seats which were removed by a previous owner, a chimney sweep, who used the car in his business.

The current owner has now re-made the removable rear seats to the exact original design,


This early De Dion-engined Renault was supplied new in 1901 by Roadway Autocar Co Ltd of London, who were sole agents for Renault Frères and Mors cars and imported 12 Renaults that year. A contemporary advertisement on file shows that different detachable rear sections were available, including a rear-entrance tonneau. There is a spigot for a step, located in the centre rear of the chassis behind the number plate on 'A 2743' and identical to the two on either side of the car illustrated, indicating that a rear-entrance tonneau possibly was used at some time. The coachwork is by E Vicart Fils, Levallois (Seine). 

Around 1908 the Renault was driven, and possibly owned, by Captain Basil Emery, son of the Archdeacon of Ely Cathedral. A photograph on file, acquired in 2007 from descendants of Captain Emery, shows him and his fiancée in the car outside Ely Cathedral. A career Army officer, William Basil Emery had served and been decorated in the Boer War and by 1911 had been promoted to the rank of major. He went on, as a brigadier general, to serve with Allenby in Palestine and finished his career as Colonel Commandant in Constantinople. He died in 1945.

During the 1920s, the car was used by a Mr Barnes for his business as a chimney sweep in Reading, and its rear section was enlarged at this time. In 1927 the Renault was acquired by Vincents (Coachbuilders) also of Reading, who restored, maintained and rallied the car until 1975. William Vincent entered 'A 2743' in the London-Brighton Run in 1927 and also in 1928 when it was successful in reaching the finish line. A photograph from the 1928 Run shows the 'old crock', driven on trade plates, passing the White Horse in Reigate (part of the original route). The car was entered in the 1971 London-Brighton Run and driven by Vincents' employee, Frank Gear. Frank remembers the car being displayed in the company's Castle Street showrooms, although his Brighton Run was not successful, as he describes (see history file).

In 1970 the car was officially dated as of 1901 manufacture by the Veteran Car Club and given Certificate No. 1217. It was noted on the certificate that the boot had been enlarged. Vincents subsequently restored the boot to original specification and also changed the colour from blue to what is believed to be the original dark green, with contrasting red coachlining. Other noteworthy features include brass oil side lamps, a brass oil rear lamp, bulb horn and buttoned red upholstery. 'A 2743' was the last of Vincents' Veteran cars to be sold, in 1975. 

The Renault was then successful in the 1979 London-Brighton Run (start number '92') driven by a Mrs R M Snapper, wife of the then owner Mr M Snapper of Kingston Hill, Surrey, who kept it until 1983. The car was subsequently owned from 1983 to 1994 by Mr James Burrows, who displayed it in his Renault showrooms in Amersham and then rallied it during his retirement. Subsequent owners Mike Rowlett of Henley-on-Thames followed by Mr David Lawson of Chorley, Lancashire continued the restoration and maintenance and in 2005 Mr Lawson successfully completed the London-Brighton Run.

The previous owner purchased the car in November 2006 first major event with the Renault was the 2007 'Creepy Crawly' in Norfolk, followed by that year's London-Brighton Run, though the latter was spoiled by a puncture that destroyed the tyre, causing a retirement. The 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 Runs were completed successfully but the car missed the 2010 event as its gearbox was undergoing an overhaul and did not participate in 2013 because of a non-car related issue. 'A 2743' This Renault last completed the Brighton Run in 2014 and had an early starting number of 74, and is also entered in the 2017 Run.

This charming Renault voiturette is eligible for all events organised by the Veteran Car Club of Great Britain including the increasingly popular Singles and Twins events, Renault Frères rallies and, of course, the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run. 

 

 

Louis Renault was a pioneer in automobile design in the infant French motor industry, building his first car as early as 1898, mounting a De Dion Bouton engine on the front of a primitive tubular chassis frame. Ever the innovator, he broke from traditional design by featuring a sprung live rear axle, a feature soon to be copied by his contemporaries. With the benefit of substantial financial backing, production began at Billancourt of 1 3/4hp and 3hp cars, with the hugely successful 4 1/2hp models appearing first for the 1900 season. From the outset Renault saw the benefits to be gained from active participation in motor sport and, along with his brother Marcel, he took an active part in this new sporting activity. Although the headlines were stolen by larger cars, Renault, with their voiturettes, were highly regarded, achieving class successes in continental events and in the great French City-to-City races. In the 1901 Paris-Bordeaux Race, Louis Renault led a victorious team of four Renaults, taking first place himself in the voiturette class and completing the epic journey in just 9 hours and 31 minutes, with brother Marcel in second place just eight minutes behind, with Oury and Grus on similar Type E cars following in third and fourth places. In 1902 Renault were to achieve their ultimate success, Marcel Renault stealing outright victory in the Paris-Vienna Race at the wheel of a 16hp model, covering the distance at an average speed of 39.2mph. These racing victories kept Renault at the fore-front of the public mind and resulted in sales orders and production figures which were the envy of their competitors.

Office 01375 379719

Richard Biddulph 07967 260673

Christoff Cowens 07772188037

We accept Credit/Debit Cards.
Part Exchange welcome.
Weekend & evening viewings OK.
Viewings by appointment :

Prestige House.
9 Globe Industrial Estate,
Grays, Essex, RM17 6ST 

 

Back to sales vehicles

Similarly Priced Vehicles

Vehicles within 20% of price
VINTAGE & PRESTIGE CLASSIC CARS LTD
Company reg. no: 0991 0504